Welcome to the New River Gorge...
New River Gorge can be a fun place IF you remember some simple rules that can keep you safe...
1) If you go on a rafting trip listen carefully to your guide and know what to do in case of an emergency like the raft turning over or getting caught between some rocks. Drownings on the New River happen every year.
* Breaking News...Please scroll down.
2) Don't go out at night unless you're with a group or at an sanctioned outing.
3) Please stay off the New River Gorge Bridge. It's dangerous and illegal to walk out onto for a 'better view'. Use the offical scenic views.
4) Have fun while on the New RIver, but don't pass up some of the other State Parks in West Virginia that offer a more Family Friendly atmosphere.
*Domain name NewRiverGorge.com is for sale. Contact us (304) 267-9936
The Lower New River and the Upper Gauley river seasons are quickly coming to a close. While some family fun can be found between April and October each year, if you look hard enough, it is our opinon that these are two of the most dangerous waterways in the East.
Ross Ballard, M.Ed.
* Breaking News!
Sadly yet another death has occurred while rafting in Southern WV.
Boy, 16, Dies in Rafting Accident
Fayette County, W.Va. -- A 16-year-old boy died during a rafting accident on the Lower New River Tuesday, officials with the National Park Service said. Park rangers got the call at 2:38 p.m. and arrived to find CPR being administered on the boy. He was taken to Plateau Medical Center around 3:50 p.m. and pronounced dead shortly after, Robin Snyder, a spokeswoman for NPS, said. The incident happened at the Keeney Rapids."At this section of the river, there is an undercut rock -- it's called the 'Meat Grinder,' " Snyder said. "That's literally what it called and people know it."I think that's where this young man got hung up," she said.
The National Park Service and the West Virginia Department of Natural Resources are investigating the accident.