Welcome to the New River Gorge...
New River Gorge can be a fun place IF you remember some simple rules that can keep you safe...
1) If you go on a rafting trip listen carefully to your guide and know what to do in case of an emergency like the raft turning over or getting caught between some rocks. Death from drownings on the New River happen every year.
2) Don't go out at night unless you're with a group or at an sanctioned event. Danger is present both on and off the river. Crime against tourists has been reported. Don't carry cash.
3) Please stay off the New River Gorge Bridge. It's dangerous and illegal to walk out onto for a 'better view'. Use the offical scenic views.
4) Be watchful of hotel bedbugs and an alarming increase in METH labs.
5) Have fun while on the New RIver, but don't pass up some of the better State Parks in West Virginia that offer a more Family Friendly atmosphere.
NEWS! A Michigan woman has died from jumping into the New River Gorge. WCHS-TV
In Other News: The number of people showing symptoms during water crisis is much higher than previously reported. Check WOWK TV for further details.
*Domain name NewRiverGorge.com is for sale. Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
WV Tourism Board is attempting a restart for the mountain state tourism industry. The motto 'Wild and Wonderful' has been turned into 'Wild and Chemical Full' as state officials try to deal with chemical and coal slurry spills. Cleanup from the damage is expected to take years and cost the state of West Virginia millions in lost revenue. We recommend that if you come bring your own water. Alternately, you could visit a nearby state and wait for the all clear signal to be given next year or the year after. Be Safe.
Level 1 Alert!
If you plan on visiting Southern WV this year you may want to bring your own bottled water. A massive chemical spill has caused many residents to stop drinking tap water. WV officials are not sure how much water damage has occurred nor how long the rivers will take to clean up.
Please be safe.