Welcome to the New River Gorge...
New River Gorge can be a fun place IF you remember some simple rules that can keep you safe. Remember this is not Disney or SeaWorld. People can and do die on New River each year...
1) If you go on a rafting trip listen carefully to your guide and know what to do in case of an emergency like the raft turning over or getting caught between some rocks. Death from drownings on the New River will always be a possibility.
2) Don't go out at night unless you're with a group or at an sanctioned event. Danger is present both on and off the river. Crime against tourists has been reported. Don't carry cash.
3) Please stay off the New River Gorge Bridge. It's dangerous and illegal to walk out onto for a 'better view'. Use the offical scenic views.
4) Be watchful of hotel bedbugs and an alarming increase in METH labs and discarded needles.
5) Have fun while on the New RIver, but don't pass up some of the better State Parks in West Virginia that offer a more Family Friendly atmosphere.
NEWS! A Michigan woman has died from jumping into the New River Gorge. WCHS-TV
In Other News: The number of people showing symptoms during water crisis is much higher than previously reported. Check WOWK TV for further details.
*Domain name NewRiverGorge.com, .tv, .info, co are for sale. Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
BREAKING NEWS! - 2015
The Bridge Day Commission will go ahead with requiring vendors and participants to have FBI fingerprint scans. This surprise move by organizers has jumpers most likely boycotting Bridge Day in favor of a similiar event in Idaho. If this happens then the normally large crowds are expected to dwindle to a few hundred rather than the normal hundred thousand. Vendors are begging the Commission to reconsider, but jumpers are already making plans for the Idaho Bridge Jumping festival. Stay tuned.
Level 1 Alert!
If you plan on visiting Southern WV this year you may want to bring your own bottled water. A massive chemical spill has caused many residents to stop drinking tap water. WV officials are not sure how much water damage has occurred nor how long the rivers will take to clean up.
Please be safe.